The synthesizer was offered as either a 44-key board or as a rack module, the latter being controlled by an external keyboard controller, hardware sequencer or a computer, making use of the system’s very complete MIDI implementation. It was intended to bring the sound and basic functionality of the MS-10 and MS-20 back into the keyboard market, but with the updated technology of Virtual Analog Synthesis. The extensive number of onboard knobs and buttons (over 80) could be used to dynamically edit many of the parameters while playing, as well as be used as a control surface for other synthesizers and sound modules. This capability was the attraction of many analog synthesizers of the past and that real-time editability became the cornerstone of contemporary VA synthesizers.
At the time of the release of the MS2000, Korg was competing directly with synthesizers such as the Clavia Nord Lead and Roland’s JP-8000 and JP-8080. While both of these VA machines were powerful in their own right, they were expensive. Korg had to make some sacrifices to be able to offer the much simpler MS2000 at a more reasonable price. The most prominent limitation was the synthesizer’s polyphony of only 4 voices, but it also lacked expansion options, power was supplied by an AC adapter “wall wart”, and there were only 128 patches available, many of which were already used by the onboard programs (though all 128 are overwritable). This type of limited polyphony is tied to Korg’s history.
- Effects Modulation effect (3 types), delay (3 types), equalizer Arpeggiator 6 types Programmable with sequencer Programs 16 programs x 8 (total 128 programs)
- Inputs AUDIO IN 1 jack: Input impedance 39 [kW]; Maximum input level: -3.5 [dBu] (AUDIO IN [1/INST] knob: Max); Source impedance 600 [W] AUDIO IN 2 jack (with MIC/LINE switch): AUDIO IN 2 [LINE]: Input impedance 39 [kW]; Maximum input level: -3.5 [dBu] (AUDIO IN [2/VOICE] knob: Max); Source impedance 600 [W] AUDIO IN 2 [MIC]: Input impedance 22 [kW]; Maximum input level: -33 [dBu] (AUDIO IN [2/VOICE] knob: Max); Source impedance 600 [W]
- Outputs L/MONO, R jacks: Output impedance 1.1 [kW] (MONO: 550W); Maximum output level +6.5 [dBu]; Load impedance 100 [kW] Headphone jack: Output impedance 10 [W]; Maximum output level 35 [mW]; Load impedance 33 [W] Control inputs ASSIGNABLE PEDAL jack ASSIGNABLE SW jack MIDI IN, OUT, THRU connectors
- Display 16 character (8 ´ 5 pixel) ´ 2 line LCD module (with backlight) Power supply DC 9V, 8 W Dimensions
- MS2000R: 482.0 (W) ´ 233.2 (D) ´ 87.1 (H) mm (5U rack space) MS2000R: 2.8 kgAC adapter (DC9V) Washers ´4, Bushing ´4, Screws ´4 (MS2000R only)